Thursday, November 27, 2014

Kuching Sarawak - Part 1



St Joseph's Church. Kuching

Another view St Joseph's Church

Kuching - View from Hotel
I was at Kuching Sarawak, East Malaysia from 23 to 26 Nov 14.  This was my third time in Kuching, a place near the birthplace of my mum in Bintulu. I was told that my grandfather used to operate a pepper farm before immigrating to Singapore. In those days (probably in the late 1940s and early 1950s), people were free to travel and select their place of residence. That of course changed the fate of subsequenty generations.

The first time I was in Kuching was in Primary 3 (9 years old). The second time was in 2009. The taxi driver who drove me around said that there is little change in Kuching and it was the same many years ago.

When I was 9 years old, I remember visiting St Joseph's Church. In the church, My sister and I were chased around by a dog. My mum was visiting the grave of my grand mother who was buried behind the church. The church internal finishing was what I had recalled more than 35 years ago.

My grand mother had passed on in the year 1939 and it was 75 years since and nothing had changed. This would be almost impossible in Singapore due to city development.

I remember visiting a food centre which is still located at Jalan Khoo Hun Yeang in Kuching centre. I remember there were beggars looking for leftover food. At 9 years old, that left me a deep impression as I wonder why there are people eating leftover food.

I also remember visiting a river and was told there was crocodile in the river. I suspect that the river was Sungai Sarawak as it was within walking distance from the food centre. The river was a region for trade and commerce with the rest of the world as back then majority of the goods were transported by ships.

No comments: