Sunday, February 14, 2016

Hi Fi System


Sony DAV-DZ150K

American Acoustics Speaker

Recently, I had re-opened my box of Sony DVD home theatre system, DAV DZ150K. I have rekindled my interest in hi fi system again after stopping this interest for a long while. While doing my research, I wanted to buy a new integrated amplifier and a set of speakers. I have set my eyes on the Sony MAP-S1 costing over SGD$1000 and a pair of Wharfedale 220 speakers costing over SGD$400. The WhatHiFi magazine had given a good review on the Wharfedale speakers. They are bookshelf size and could fit into my room. If I had a bigger room, I might have bought the B&W 683 S2 speakers which are floor standing speakers costing about SGD$2800.

However, all the plans did not come through as I remembered my Sony DAV DZ150K which was a free gift when I bought my Sony 40 inch LCD TV back in 2007. Hence the system is 9 years old. But it hasn't been used.

As for the speaker, I had 2 existing American Acoustics speakers (Model D5550E) which was not been used for at least 15 years. It was bought in perhaps 1989 period. I could recall that the speaker cost about SGD$1400. Back then, it was a substantial amount.  I remember that the sales man had used Madonna 'Like a Prayer' song to create the deep bass and fantastic vocal that American Acoustics speakers can create. I tested the song in the current Sony DVD home theatre system and it still sounds great. Each speaker has 1 tweeter, 2 mid-range and 1 12" woofer.

The Sony system comes with 4 surround speakers, 1 center speaker and 1 woofer. Basically a 5.1 surround setup. I have kept all the speakers except for the woofer which currently creates the deep bass I am looking for. Sony uses their proprietary wire connecting pins for the amplifier. The wires from Sony with the connectors are therefore important for the speakers to be connected. It also comes with a remote controller. The amplifier has a rating of 108W per channel at a distortion of 1% THD.

I remember that when I started my hifi hobby back in early 1990s, I had 2 amplifiers, a 2 channel NAD and a 4 channels Pioneer. I also had a Yamaha digital surround system. The 2 amplifiers drive a 6 speakers system for the surround effect. But it was not easy as wires are running all over the place. I had a Teac CD player bought around 1990 and a Philips cassette player.

Subsequently I had a Marantz home theatre system with Boston Acoustics speakers. The system was underused as its quality of sound was not good in an open room, with no acoustic treatment. I also found it hard to control the amplifier to a preferred sound.

Now I am back to my stereo setup, without surround. I still find that a car hifi sounds so much better than a room (with no acoustic treated finishing).

The current music industry faces the challenges of 'cheap music'. Music are downloaded from internet through MP4 or MP3 at no cost or low cost. Musician earns through concert sales than sales of CDs. CDs shops have been out of business. It also affected the manufacturers of hi fi equipment. Nowadays, these manufacturers are selling boutique hi fi systems which are more expensive. The general public will go for system that compliments their TV, eg sound bar. People spends less time on listening to music(through hifi) than to surfing on the Internet.

No comments: