Saturday, July 9, 2016

Guangzhou Part 1 - Food in Xin Hui


I was in Guangzhou China from 3 to 8 July 2016.

In the few days in Guangzhou city, I felt that the food culture was diluted by the infiltration of food from other cities. In a big city with short time, it was difficult to find authentic good food. Most of the time, there were food from Si Chuan and spicy food from the North.

When I travelled out of the city to Xin Hui (新会), I was most fortunate to find this local restaurant located at the junction of 田心 road and 骑虎西 road, where I had a good Cantonese claypot rice. The restaurant is named 曼特宁.  I ordered the pork ribs claypot rice for 20 RMB (S$4.20) and it comes with a soup and a vegetable dish. In China, it is common to find food spiced with monosodium glutamate (MSG) to make the food tasty. However, I will feel extremely thirsty after consuming MSG. In this claypot, however, it was tasty enough without the use of MSG. There was Chinese black bean commonly used in Cantonese cooking. Also special was the soup which was prepared with octopus and corn. The claypot rice was worth every penny which I paid for.

Xin Hui is a city in Jiang Men (江门)Guangdong (Canton) Province. It is about 1.5 hours drive from Guangzhou city.

Whole set for RMB20

A Tasty and Good Pork Ribs Claypot Rice at Xin Hui, China

曼 特宁 Restaurant

Location of the Restaurant. From Baidu Map

No comments: